Frequently Asked Questions

We would like to help you and your family understand about PEAK, University of Tokyo and PEAK admission process. Choose from categories listed below to find answers to the most frequently asked questions about admission to PEAK.

If you do not find the answer to your question here, please ask us by using Inquiry form.

Results 1-13 of 13
searched for TOP_15_Questions [ ]

I have a dual citizenship/nationality. For those with dual citizenship, is it possible to join the PEAK program.

As long as you fulfill the Requirement 1 and 2 of 2. Eligibility of the Application Guidelines, nationality does not matter. Please read the Application Guidelines under “Eligibility”.

I would like to visit your university. Will I be able to talk to the admissions office?

We hold information seminars about PEAK at Komaba Campus during the summer. Please check "News & Events"on the PEAK website for the schedules. For requests other than the period, please ask through the Inquiry Form. There is Open Campus held at Hongo campus in early August as well.

In any cases, Komaba Campus is open to public so you can walk around the campus by yourselves only outside the buildings. Please drop by the guardian’s office at the main gate and ask for a set of PEAK information materials.

What kind of accommodation is available at the University?

The University has a dormitory available for incoming students called the International Lodge, Komaba Lodge. All PEAK students are given the option residing in the Lodge for their first 2 years of study.

What kinds of scholarships are available?

Please see the list of scholarships available in the Application Guidelines under Scholarships. Also our web page "Fees & Scholarships".


What level of test scores does PEAK expect me to have?

PEAK pays attention to the whole application package as well as to the interview. But the following is a general guideline of minimum scores our successful applicants generally possess:

SAT: a combined score of 2060 for Reasoning section
ACT: an average score of 30
IB: a total of 36 points out of 42
GCE A Level (General Certificate of Education Advanced Level): A/A/B
Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level: A/A in H2

Also, average scores of successful applicants for the 2017 enrollment are:
SAT: a combined score of 2283 for Reasoning section
ACT: an average score of 35
IB: total of 40 out of 42

Average scores of successful applicants for the 2016 enrollment are:
SAT: a combined score of 2246 for Reasoning section
ACT: an average score of 34
IB: total of 41 out of 42

What kind of subjects should I have studied to enter the PEAK program?

Students applying to the PEAK programs are expected to have studied subjects that are commensurate with the respective programs. We expect students to be highly literate and numerate with a broad range of analytical and critical thinking skills. For further information, check the expected background knowledge for each program.

Some years have passed since my high school graduation. Can I still apply to PEAK?

Yes, you can apply to PEAK as long as you have completed 12 years of schooling and meet the eligibility requirements. There is no maximum age limit for applying to PEAK. However, we suggest you take one of the standardized examination such as SAT or ACT in order for us to understand your current academic ability. Also, you must check the required background knowledge for our programs (http://peak.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/courses/index.html) on our website and select appropriate subjects if you take the test.

Please note that the same selection process will be applied to all applicants.

I am currently a student at an international school in Japan, where the primary language of instruction is not Japanese. Am I eligible to apply to PEAK?

Please check our eligibility requirements stated in the Application Guidelines. If you are unsure about your eligibility, please contact us through the Inquiry Form.

How much is the tuition?

Admission fee paid upon enrollment:JPY282,000
Annual tuition: JPY535,800
The fee is the same for everyone. There is no separate rate for international students.

Can I learn Japanese language as part of the PEAK program?

Yes, taking Japanese language classes in order to acquire foreign language credits is mandatory for the completion of PEAK.

Do I need to have studied Japanese to apply to the PEAK program?

No, there is no need to have studied Japanese in advance when applying and there is no need to submit proof of your Japanese language ability as part of your application package, although you are welcome to do so. Students will first take a placement test when they arrive in Tokyo.

Can I transfer from another university?

Unfortunately, we do not accept transfer students at the University of Tokyo. You can apply to our program, but the university level credits you have earned elsewhere cannot be transferred to your credits at this University.

Can I apply to both of the programs, Japan in East Asia and Environmental Sciences at the same time?

No, you cannot. Please choose one when you apply.